Klark Teknik KT-2A Single Channel Leveling Amplifier and Optical Compressor
If ever there is an official "Audio Technology Hall of Fame", it will definitely include a shrine to the iconic Teletronix LA-2A*. We pay homage to this audio-processing pioneer that has graced so many recordings, with our KT-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier. And while vintage Teletronix LA-2As are extremely rare and expensive, the KT-2A is amazingly affordable - and designed for the 21st Century. Mastering quality compression and limiting, at a price point that makes the KT-2A equally at home in your studio - and your live rack!
Building on a Classic
The KT-2A draws inspiration from the original Teletronix LA-2A leveling amplifier, which was first produced in the early 1960s. Since then, Teletronix leveling amplifiers have been prized for their smooth musical sound, and audio engineers have utilised them at all stages of the recording process - from tracking to mastering.
A Class Act
At the heart of the KT-2A is a vintage lag-free optical attenuator based on the very same electroluminescent technology used in its predecessor. The KT-2A is constructed from the highest-quality discrete components - all of which meet or exceed the LA-2A's original specifications. This is just one of the many ways the KT-2A brings unparalleled precision and superb signal integrity into the new audio age.
The Warm Sound of Tubes
KT-2A owes its characteristic warmth to a set of premium, hand-selected 12AX7, 12BH7 and EL84 tubes. This time-tested combination provides ultra low-noise analog output with the ideal balance of tight, warm bass, silky-smooth midrange and brilliant, airy treble.
KT-2A frequency response extends from 10 Hz to 20 kHz (+/- 1 dB), and provides the kind of flexibility you simply won't find in the average leveling amplifier, such as gain limiting from 0 to 30 dB with an ultra-fast attack time of 10 milliseconds, a release time that ranging from 50 milliseconds to a full 5 seconds, and so much more. The Limit/Compress switch lets you select between the internally-fixed compression ratio of Compress mode and the near-infinite ratio in Limit mode, with frequency response that extends from 10 Hz to 20 kHz (+/- 1 dB). A built-in adjustable stereolink TRS connection allows a pair of KT-2As to blend their sidechain signals for shared threshold response between the two devices.
The controls on the KT-2A consist of a Pre-Emphasis trimmer, which adjusts the sidechain that the compressor responds to, but does not directly affect the audio in any way. When set fully clockwise, the sidechain responds to the full frequency bandwidth of the incoming audio. As the trimmer is turned counterclockwise, the compressor responds less to the signal's high frequency transients. The Peak Reduction knob controls the threshold of the compressor/limiter with an available maximum 40 dB of gain reduction. The Output Gain knob provides any makeup gain necessary for setting the output signal to the optimal level.
Old-school VU Meters ruled the day back in the 1960s and '70s, so we stayed true to the original with the KT-2A's metering. The classic d'Arsonval movement averages out short duration signal peaks and troughs, providing a much more realistic view of perceived loudness. A Meter Selection knob lets you display either the amount of gain reduction or the output level.
- Classic tube compressor/leveling amplifier modeled after the iconic Teletronix LA-2A*
- Completely discrete signal path
- Premium selection 12AX7, 12BH7 and EL84 tubes
- Lag-free optical attenuator based on original electroluminescent technology
- Custom-built MIDAS input and output transformers
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 20 kHz, +/ - 1 dB
- Gain Limiting: 0 to 30 dB
- Ultra-fast attack time: 10 milliseconds
- Release time: 50 milliseconds to 5 seconds
- Adjustable stereo-link connection
- Variable pre-emphasis for digital audio recording and broadcasting transmission
- Vintage-style meter features gain reduction and output
- Transformer balanced inputs and outputs on Neutrik* XLR connectors
- Rugged 2U rackmount chassis for durability in portable applications
- Auto-ranging universal switch-mode power supply
- 10-Year Warranty Program*
- Designed and engineered in the U.K.
- The KT-2A leveling amplifier shall provide a single channel vacuum tube compressor/limiter with optical attenuator in a standard 2U 19" rack mount chassis.
- The KT-2A shall provide an output gain control which can provide make up gain.
- The KT-2A shall provide a peak reduction control which sets the compressor threshold.
- The KT-2A shall provide a three position VU meter mode rotary switch with setting of +4 dBu, +8 dBu and gain reduction
- The KT-2A shall be fitted with an illuminated VU meter that can read either output level or gain reduction:
- The KT-2A shall provide a toggle switch to select limiting or compression modes.
- The KT-2A shall provide a mains power on/off toggle switch with a separate illuminated power on indicator.
- The KT-2A shall provide a pre-emphasis trimmer which adjusts the compressors sensitivity to high frequency signals.
- The KT-2A shall provide transformer balanced audio input and output 3 pin XLR connectors and parallel TRS jack connectors.
- The KT-2A shall provide a stereo link TRS jack connector to enable two KT-2A units to function as a stereo pair, by means of side chain linking.
- The KT-2A shall provide a rear panel stereo link trimmer to enable attenuation matching of a stereo pair of KT-2A units.
- The KT-2A shall provide a rear panel meter trimmer to calibrate the VU meter.
- The KT-2A shall be fitted with an internal switch mode power supply, capable of operation at AC voltages ranging from 100 to 240 VAC, at 50/60Hz.
- The mains connector shall be a standard IEC receptacle.
- The KT-2A dimensions shall be 88 mm high x 483 mm wide x 158 mm deep (3.5 x 19 x 6.2"). The nominal weight shall be 2.9 kg (6.4 lbs).
- The Leveling amplifier shall be the KLARK TEKNIK model KT-2A and no other alternative shall be acceptable.
|Free Shipping Excluded||No|
|Is on Sale||No|